Saturday, February 1, 2014

Welcome Guest Designer Shawna


Hello, there!  I'm Shawna and I have been scrapbooking for about 8 years, give or take.  I took a break after the birth of my daughter, but dove back in head first about a year ago.  I love how this hobby has morphed from simple memory books to such a diverse and expressive art form incorporating so much more than just paper and photos.
 
I live in Central NY with my husband of 10 years, our 4 year old (excuse, me…4 ½ year old.  She would correct me if she could read this…), our 7 year old yellow lab, Beau, and our sketchy little kitty, Lenny.  I work full time in the legal field and when I'm not working or creating scrappy goodness, I love to photograph, read, and do anything that involves getting outside into the fresh air.  I currently design f
or CSI Color Stories Inspiration, Sketchabilities, and Challenge YOUrself. 



1.     How long have you been scrapbooking and why did you start?   

I have been scrapbooking for about 8 years, though I took about a 3 1/2 year hiatus when my daughter was born.  I can't remember if it was a gift or if I bought it, but somehow I ended up with one of those pre-packaged scrapbook kits from Michael's way back in 2006 and I was hooked from the get-go.
 
2.    How would you describe your scrapbooking style?  

Hmm...trendy and a little bit eclectic?  I love to try new techniques and some of my favorite blog posts are those that share technique tutorials.  My layouts are all over the board...I try and create my layouts around whatever feel the photos give - sometimes it's a vintage feel, and sometimes it's an abstract artsy feel.  The one thing that almost all of my layouts have in common is some type of mixed media background work - gelatos, modeling paste, gesso, etc., paper layers, and LOTS of bright, bright colors.  Bright colors against a white background make me happy.
 
3.   What scrapbookers have influenced you most? 

I'm a big Sanna Lippert fan.  Her video tutorials are fantastic and I have learned a ton of tricks and techniques from watching them.
 
4.  What is your favorite thing about kit clubs?   

I love that kits take the guess work out of coordinating products for a layout!  Left on my own, it can take me hours to pick what materials I want to use on a page.  I have this long drawn out process of pulling out everything I have in my stash that MIGHT work on my page, and then slowly whittling it down to what I will actually use.  It works, but it's super time consuming.  Nothing beats having that step taken care of for me!
 
5.  If you departed for a week-long trip scrapbooking retreat, what are your 5 favorite scrapbooking items you would be sure to pack (besides your camera and photos!)? 

White cardstock, gelatos, black ink, 3-D pop dots and some sort of twine...that's assuming they are providing the patterned paper.  If I have to bring my own patterned paper I guess I could live without the black ink.  
 
6.  How would you describe the Citrus Twist February kit and what do you enjoy most about it?  

The vibe of February's kit is really fun and playful.  I love that the colors are neither masculine nor feminine, making them super easy to use on any subject you are scrapping.
 
Here is a beautiful layout Shawna created using the February Main Kit.
 

 
**Remember this is where you get so leave comments and win one of Shawna's favorite things!**

4 comments:

  1. Glad to have you with us this month Shawna! Your work is fabulous and I can't wait to see the rest of the projects you created with this month's kit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Shawna! You made a great work with this 1st layout! Can't wait to see your others projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this layout. I always enjoy seeing what Shawna creates!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Glad to be here guest designing this month...February's kit is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete